The gladiator sandal is every stylista’s wardrobe staple. Back with a vengeance for the new season, it’s happy days all round because regardless of whether they’re ankle-high, mid-calf, knee-high, brown, black, leather, snakeskin or metallic, the fad for ancient roman gladiator sandal chic can be adapted to pretty much any outfit. From maxi to mini dress, capri to denim hotpants, and skinny jeans to skirts, gladiator sandals are a wardrobe staple to dress up or down. In need of inspiration? Check out our hit list of celebrity wearers to copy the style of, get the lowdown on how to choose a pair that’s perfect for you, or soak up some of our top tips for making a gladiator sandal statement.
Choose your gladiator style carefully…
Before snapping up a pair of gladiator sandals take time to consider which style will suit your body shape best.
- - Ankle-high gladiator sandals are flattering on everyone because the more leg you show, the longer your legs will appear. Mid-calf styles flatter slender pins but are a no-go for shorter legs and knee-length gladiators elongate legs of all shapes and sizes
- - Watch out if you have thick ankles – t-straps and a short heel will give the illusion of a long and lean vertical line, lengthening the overall effect
- - To really add length to your figure, choose a gladiator sandal with a solid strip of leat her that bisects the foot in the middle. This vertical line will give the effect of a gorgeously long and lean silhouette
- - Oh and if you’re lucky enough to be tall or have slender pins, any type of gladiator sandals will suit you!
How to wear your gladiator sandals…
So what do you wear with your gladiator sandals? Well, the happy news is, these babies are just about as versatile as it gets.
- - In the daytime you’ll be able to pair them with denim shorts or a maxi or t-shirt dress and in the evening go for a short jersey number. Even with the simplest, most classic of outfits gladiator sandals add that all-important and trend-savvy extra touch
- - If you’re looking for a gladiator sandal that’ll go with pretty much any outfit, you can’t go far wrong with a brown leather pair. For a bohemian meets roman goddess-style effect, team with a white cotton summer dress. For a look that’s a tad more glamorous combine heeled gold gladiators with a sleek maxi dress and chunky gold bangles
- - The snakeskin gladiator is perfect for a spot of casual chic. Dress them down with white jeans or up with khaki-coloured city shorts and a cute blouse or cardi
- - If you’re feeling brave enough to make a real style statement, go for high-leg gladiator sandals. Pair them with a basic black shift dress and the sandals will automatically be the focus
- - Eye-poppingly bright gladiators will look the business with a plain-coloured short tunic dress. And if it’s skinny jeans you’re planning on wearing your gladiators with, go for sky highs or platforms to really give it the edge
- Our handpicked selection of the top ten gladiator sandals in stores now…
Steve Madden women’s Banglez gladiator sandals, £85.50, at Shoe Envy
Banglez gladiator sandals are a huge hit with celebs. With their embellishments and studded detailing, they have a vintage appeal that’s hit the spot with Heidi Klum, Kate Moss, Bar Rafaeli and Lindsay Lohan, among others.
Dune Daquiri Back Zip Cross Strap Sandals Tan, £55, at John Lewis
Nude leather stud gladiators, £25, at Miss Selfridge
Bronze gladiator Jelly, £10 at Miss Selfridge
- These funky sandals have been touted as this summer’s best budget-buy gladiator on countless TV programmes and in an array of leading glossy magazines.
Feather gladiator sandals, £26, at Oli
Pewter gladiator sandals, £32, at Dorothy Perkins
Office non-such leg gladiator tan leather, £60, at Office